Sunday, November 21, 2010

My First Prezi: Justification for Digital Literacies in the Classroom

I decided to try Prezi to create my presentation for class this week.  I've used PowerPoint quite a bit and was ready to try something new and different.  Overall, Prezi was fairly easy to use, but it took me a while to figure out how everything would look in the final presentation.  There are so many possibilities with text layouts, presentation paths, frames, etc. that it could get overwhelming.  When I started, I envisioned a much more complex presentation, but then I realized that part of Prezi's beauty was in simplicity.

I had recently read several journal articles about digital literacy in classrooms, including "An American Perspective: Justifying Uses o Digital Tools to Foster Critical Media Literacy" by Richard Beach in The Journal of Media Literacy (Volume 57, Numbers 1 & 2, 2010).  The quote at the beginning of the presentation is from that article.  I was hoping that this presentation would help me flesh out some ideas for a final project.  Maybe it did.  At this point I'm not entirely sure, but I am also not entirely sure of the shape my final project will take.  Mostly, I've done a lot of brainstorming and thinking about it.  This my first tangible product.  Alright, let's cut to the chase.  Here's my presentation:

2 comments:

Sonja said...

Lisa: I enjoyed your Prezi presentation. Now that you're over the learning curve, I'm wondering how you like it compared to PowerPoint? Which do you think you would use more? After viewing yours, I think I like the interactive ability with Prezi. I like how the viewer can visually see the entire presentation and control what they view.

I like the different fonts and sizes of font you used - it helped emphasize points. Stylistically, it seems like mapping, at least the way you have it layed out - I find that helpful too.

It seems like a great segway into your final project, based on what we chatted about in class.

Lisa said...

I think that Prezi and PowerPoint both have their benefits. I agree that the look of Prezi and its interactive ability is great. However, I think it can also get a bit confusing. If the pathways from text to text aren't set up right (I had to fix mine several times) or if the reader moves around and "gets lost" then the presentation could be pointless. In that sense, I like PowerPoint's organization. I think that it really depends on what you want to do with it. My ideas were very much "mapped" and not at all linear, so Prezi made more sense to me. I'm definitely glad I tried it!