Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Like a new mom: excited but totally freaked out

After reading Beach's article about the wonderful uses of digital writing in the classroom, I am all fired up about the idea. Given the prevalence of digital media in today's culture, it is not only essential but also exciting that students learn how to navigate Web 2.0 applications. The idea of using blogs in the classroom as an alternative to the traditional journal notebook is very exciting. Thinking about my own uses of blogs, I put much more thought into pictures, titles, and audience than I ever would with a handwritten text that would only be read by myself and one or two other people. Many students are already using Facebook or MySpace, it seems like a great idea to hone those skills and interests. There are many students who will be extremely fired up about using blogs, wikis, and self-made websites to communicate with the teacher, class, and wider audience.

BUT...

My excitement is riddled with confusion, fear, and apprehension: like a new mom. I have so many hopes and dreams for using digital writing in my classroom, but I worry about the downsides of it. The dangers of online communication are frequently highlighted in the news, and I worry about letting my students put themselves out there under my direction. I worry that they will reveal too much about themselves--or too little because they are also worried about being metaphorically naked on the Internet. I worry that the "technology divide" will be even greater among students who do and those who do not have access to the Internet. My hope is that this would be the kind of thing that would close the gap, since students who might not otherwise explore Web 2.0 applications would necessarily do so, thus improving their knowledge, comfort level, and skills. However, I also recognize that some students will feel intimidated by the technology. I do not want to lose them. I hope that some students will get so excited about digital writing that they create their own blogs or wikis for personal use, but I worry that some of them will go too far, using it inappropriately or irresponsibly. I worry that if students do this, the literal or emotional blame will be placed on me. I worry that parents will be freaked out by the idea of their students having their own website. I worry that I will dig too large of a hole for myself and not be able to keep up with the students' online work.

Whew!




Resource Link: Many of us explored www.teachertube.com last semester for our fantastic Technology for Teaching & Learning class, but I'm not sure how many of us looked at the site for how we might actually use it. The Writing Channel within this site provides videos and other resources for incorporating writing--including digital writing--in your classroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm also looking forward to get some new tools in front of my students, if only to capitalize on their attraction to novelty. Of course as Beach points out, the tools are more new to us than many of the students. But these savvy surfers have not always genralized their digital skills for academic purposes. MySpacers and such are typically terrible researchers. I'm going to do a day or so just on media literacy and citations when I get the media center to start them blogging (in addition to the time I'll spend on security and appropriate use policies).